Chase ends on campus

A car chase through South Miami between police and two suspected car thieves ended near the Serpentine parking lot on campus last Sunday.

The two subjects suspected of committing an armed car-jacking in South Miami attempted to flee authorities by going through the University of Miami’s Coral Gables Campus, police said.

They were detained by Coral Gables police officers in the afternoon, shortly after the car was spotted driving south on Dixie Highway near Douglas Road, said Maj. Michael Mills of the South Miami Police Department.

The car was stolen near the 6000 block of Southwest 69th Street, about four blocks northwest of Sunset Place, at approximately 4 a.m. Sunday. The female victim was held at gunpoint by an undisclosed number of subjects.

Coral Gables police officers eventually stopped the stolen car at Ponce De Leon Boulevard and George E. Merrick Drive, the university’s entrance between the Grosvenor Apartment Building 23 and the Serpentine lot.

All subjects in the car fled but were soon apprehended by Coral Gables police officers.

A short time later, the victim arrived at the scene and identified two out of the three suspects.

University police said one subject had made it to campus before being caught by police.

UMPD Officer Richard Naue, the acting supervisor at the time, said he was at the scene of the chase, but declined to comment further on the incident.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...