Chase ends on campus

A car chase through South Miami between police and two suspected car thieves ended near the Serpentine parking lot on campus last Sunday.

The two subjects suspected of committing an armed car-jacking in South Miami attempted to flee authorities by going through the University of Miami’s Coral Gables Campus, police said.

They were detained by Coral Gables police officers in the afternoon, shortly after the car was spotted driving south on Dixie Highway near Douglas Road, said Maj. Michael Mills of the South Miami Police Department.

The car was stolen near the 6000 block of Southwest 69th Street, about four blocks northwest of Sunset Place, at approximately 4 a.m. Sunday. The female victim was held at gunpoint by an undisclosed number of subjects.

Coral Gables police officers eventually stopped the stolen car at Ponce De Leon Boulevard and George E. Merrick Drive, the university’s entrance between the Grosvenor Apartment Building 23 and the Serpentine lot.

All subjects in the car fled but were soon apprehended by Coral Gables police officers.

A short time later, the victim arrived at the scene and identified two out of the three suspects.

University police said one subject had made it to campus before being caught by police.

UMPD Officer Richard Naue, the acting supervisor at the time, said he was at the scene of the chase, but declined to comment further on the incident.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs may be contacted at chelsea@miami.edu.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...