GOLF: Two Canes place in top 25

Freshman Christina Hirano led the Miami contingent at the 20th annual ACC women’s golf championship, tying for 15th at the Legends Course of LPGA International.

Senior Jessica Steward finished tied for 25th with another strong score of 76 to total 232 strokes (80-76-76). Freshman Maria Ronderos tied for 33th after posting an 83 to end at 18-over-par, while senior Hagen Weintraub posted an 84 to sit at 39th. Freshman Brooke Stuart shot her best round of golf to finish 45th with an 87.

As a team, the Hurricanes combined for 933 strokes, which was good enough for eighth out of nine teams. Top-ranked Duke, meanwhile, earned its 13th straight ACC title at 871 strokes, led by junior Amanda Blumenherst, who claimed her third-straight ACC title. Florida State junior Caroline Westrup lost by a stroke when she bogeyed on the final hole.

For the Canes, Hirano shot a one-over-par 76 to fall in a tie for 14th place with a total of 149 strokes heading into the final round Sunday. Ronderos shot a 77 to tie for 19th while Steward moved up to 28th by shooting a 76. Weintraub fell all the way to 37th after firing an 86 a day after shooting into the top 25.

After round one, Hirano and Weintraub were tied for eighth place with a one-over-par 73 as the Hurricanes were in sixth place at 300 strokes. Ronderos finished tied for 11th at two-over-par 74 to round up Miami’s representation in the top 20.

Virginia took an early lead with a four-under-par 284 led by Joy Kim’s three-under-par 69. She had four birdies with the next closest team, Duke, 10 strokes back. Second and third place were occupied by Cavaliers golfers as well.

Steward was tied for 39th and freshman Brooke Stuart at 45th.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...