Collisions on campus increase

Students who walk to class seem to be butting heads with those who prefer to ride bikes or skateboard on campus – just ask Dustin Rainwater.

Last week Rainwater was nearly struck from behind by a bike rider in front of Eaton Residential College.

“You can hear the skateboarders coming but the bikers creep up on you,” Rainwater, a senior, said, adding that when the bike rider tried to go around Rainwater he lost control and slammed into a pole. “His entire front wheel was bent. This kind of thing happens all the time and it’s crazy.”

Nora McDonald, a sophomore who walks to class, said it is confusing when she is faced with a bike rider or skateboarder.

“I never know which way they’re going,” she said.

Other students said there is no question when it comes to who should move out of the way.

“People on wheels expect you to get out of the way. I don’t move. I have the right of way,” Dan Messick, a sophomore, said. Recently Messick had a bike rider stop a couple of inches behind him and abruptly circle him from the left.

When collisions do occur, they go unreported, so university officials are not aware of how frequently they occur.

“As far as I know, there have not been any police reports filed in the past year that involved two or more students colliding while utilizing the sidewalks and pathways throughout the campus,” said John Pepper, crime prevention coordinator.

Still, some students such as Stephen Seto don’t see collisions as a problem.

“I get to the Memorial Building within four minutes and get to practice surfing at the same time,” Seto said about riding his long board. “People are always scared I’m going to crash into them so they move as far away from me as possible, but I know what I’m doing.”

Valerie Reyes may be contacted at v.reyes1@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...