Plus/minus grade system not changing despite critics

After many months of research and discussion, Student Government and the Faculty Senate have decided not to adjust the current plus/minus grading system.

For years, students have expressed dissatisfaction with the way course grades are calculated into their cumulative grade point averages.

Currently, if a student receives an A+ or A, they are both counted as four points in the GPA. But critics question why an A+ grade doesn’t count for more, which is the way the plus/minus system is intended to operate.

Josh Weiss, a senior and a SG senator of the College of Arts and Sciences, said “we felt it was useless to have an A+ designation that didn’t mean anything.”

The Academic Affairs Committee of Student Government had been looking into options to “correct” the current status of the grading system. One proposal was to count an A+ as 4.3 points.

After researching other Atlantic Coast Conference schools that are most similar to the University of Miami, the Academic Affairs Committee compiled an extensive report and presented it to the Academic Standards Committee of the Faculty Senate.

The students’ report found that all ACC schools except for Maryland, Georgia Tech and N.C. State use the same plus/minus method as UM. The committee said that there is no reason to adjust the current grading system.

Student Government is also looking at other options that could help students going on to law, medical or graduate schools.

With the backing of Vice Provost and Undergraduate Dean William S. Green, student leaders say one possibility is for final transcripts to include a marking or other distinction that would recognize a student’s A+ work in a class.

Valerie Marks may be contacted at v.marks@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...