MedSchool Briefs

Talks of climate change and the effects on human health

Experts on climate change and human health presented their latest research Monday at the Miller School of Medicine’s Lois Pope LIFE center. The symposium was part of a series of ceremonies and events taking place around the country in recognition of World Health Day and National Public Health Week.

The main consensus of the symposium was that global climate change is already impacting human life. Rising temperatures and heavier rainfalls are providing fertile breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry malaria, West Nile virus and numerous other pandemic diseases. Widespread deforestation in Latin America is also leading to an increased rate of malaria and dengue fever, along with other diseases. Experts agreed that there is a need for an increase in education about climate change and how it affects human survival.

Former Hurricane launches foundation

Kevin Everett, the former Miami Hurricane and NFL player who suffered a severe spinal cord injury during a game last season, stood tall last week to announce the launch of the Kevin Everett Foundation. Everett, who was told he would never walk again, thanked the Miami medical team whose cutting-edge research played a role in his recovery.

Everett was given a hypothermic treatment, which induced cold saline into his system, in order to significantly decrease damage to the spinal cord. Everett is dedicating his recently-launched foundation to supporting and advocating further research of spinal cord injuries.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...