MedSchool Briefs

Talks of climate change and the effects on human health

Experts on climate change and human health presented their latest research Monday at the Miller School of Medicine’s Lois Pope LIFE center. The symposium was part of a series of ceremonies and events taking place around the country in recognition of World Health Day and National Public Health Week.

The main consensus of the symposium was that global climate change is already impacting human life. Rising temperatures and heavier rainfalls are providing fertile breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry malaria, West Nile virus and numerous other pandemic diseases. Widespread deforestation in Latin America is also leading to an increased rate of malaria and dengue fever, along with other diseases. Experts agreed that there is a need for an increase in education about climate change and how it affects human survival.

Former Hurricane launches foundation

Kevin Everett, the former Miami Hurricane and NFL player who suffered a severe spinal cord injury during a game last season, stood tall last week to announce the launch of the Kevin Everett Foundation. Everett, who was told he would never walk again, thanked the Miami medical team whose cutting-edge research played a role in his recovery.

Everett was given a hypothermic treatment, which induced cold saline into his system, in order to significantly decrease damage to the spinal cord. Everett is dedicating his recently-launched foundation to supporting and advocating further research of spinal cord injuries.

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...