Frustrated drivers say parking tickets are unfair

With about 80 to 150 parking tickets distributed on a daily basis, University of Miami students said they are fed up with the university’s police department.

Alanna Buz, a sophomore, parked in one of the meters after 15 minutes of looking for parking with no luck. She said she returned to her car three minutes after the meter had expired and already had a $20 ticket.

“UMPD has no considerations with students,” she said. “We already pay enough for tuition and for the parking permit. The least they could do is have a little leniency when it comes to distributing parking tickets.”

Other students have said that they received a ticket in similar situations.

Camila Martin, a transfer student, is completing her second semester at UM. She said all of her friends have received a ticket since she’s been here.

“I think that it would be difficult to find a student in this school who has not received any parking tickets. I am on my third ticket. It is ridiculous,” she said. “At my previous university, FIU, I never faced a problem of this sort.”

Charges for parking tickets start at a minimum fee of $20. More severe violations may result in a towed vehicle and the removal of the students’ parking decal, which costs no less than $211 per semester.

Madeline Garcia, a junior, said UMPD does not consider that some cars don’t fit in the small parking spaces. She said she drives an SUV and the parking space divisions are too narrow.

“I got a ticket last Thursday for parking right above the white line that marks the parking space,” she said. “I was not even parked in the other person’s parking space and therefore I was not occupying two spaces at once.”

The Parking and Transportation Department said UMPD only distributes tickets when students have committed violations and never undeservingly. Officer Carlos Castillo said that he issues about five to seven tickets daily to students for parking violations.

“Students are always in a rush and they park carelessly,” he said. “They complain about our measures, but if we don’t look after the parking facilities then it would be chaotic.”

Coral Gables police officer Ivan Cabrera, asked while giving a ticket at Doctor’s Hospital, said that most tickets are issued to students who park in undesignated areas and don’t carry their decal.

The UM Police Department said that students can appeal tickets on myUM.

Juliet Chavib may be contacted at y.chavib@umiami.edu.

Sandra L. Redway, the Director of Business Services, said that about 80 to 150 tickets are issued daily.

Last year 8,466 tickets were appealed and 56 percent were granted.

Most parking violations were committed in the Allan Hall Whitten Learning Center lot (209), and that a possible solution is parking at the Ponce Garage and taking the shuttle.

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...