BASEBALL: Late-inning heroics save Miami, 12-10

It looked like yet another baffling midweek loss to FAU, as Miami trailed the Owls 10-9 in the top of the ninth with two outs. Last week, the Canes fell to FAU 6-3, ending the team’s 14-game winning streak. That is, it looked like that until power hitter Yonder Alonso stepped up to the plate.

With one swing of his bat, Alonso changed the course of the game, giving Miami a lead they would never relinquish. The No. 1-ranked Canes left Boca Raton victorious, 12-10.

Starting pitcher Michael Rudman had trouble again, giving up five earned runs in only two innings of work. By the fourth inning, Miami (31-3) fell behind 10-3.

But that’s where the FAU (21-13) scoring would stop. A platoon of pitchers including Anthony Nalepa, Kyle Bellamy, P.J. Fisher and Carlos Gutierrez didn’t give up a run for the remainder of the game, allowing the Miami offense to crawl back into the game.

Shortstop Ryan Jackson stood out, notching four hits and three RBIs in the game. Mark Sobolewski also contribbuted, driving in four runs for the Canes. But ultimately it was Yonder Alonso and his ninth-inning blast that defined Wednesday’s game.

Miami now travels to Tallahassee for their weekend series against Florida State, pitting the No. 1-ranked Canes against the No. 2-ranked Seminoles. The first game of the three-game series begins Friday night at 7 p.m.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...