BASEBALL: Late-inning heroics save Miami, 12-10

It looked like yet another baffling midweek loss to FAU, as Miami trailed the Owls 10-9 in the top of the ninth with two outs. Last week, the Canes fell to FAU 6-3, ending the team’s 14-game winning streak. That is, it looked like that until power hitter Yonder Alonso stepped up to the plate.

With one swing of his bat, Alonso changed the course of the game, giving Miami a lead they would never relinquish. The No. 1-ranked Canes left Boca Raton victorious, 12-10.

Starting pitcher Michael Rudman had trouble again, giving up five earned runs in only two innings of work. By the fourth inning, Miami (31-3) fell behind 10-3.

But that’s where the FAU (21-13) scoring would stop. A platoon of pitchers including Anthony Nalepa, Kyle Bellamy, P.J. Fisher and Carlos Gutierrez didn’t give up a run for the remainder of the game, allowing the Miami offense to crawl back into the game.

Shortstop Ryan Jackson stood out, notching four hits and three RBIs in the game. Mark Sobolewski also contribbuted, driving in four runs for the Canes. But ultimately it was Yonder Alonso and his ninth-inning blast that defined Wednesday’s game.

Miami now travels to Tallahassee for their weekend series against Florida State, pitting the No. 1-ranked Canes against the No. 2-ranked Seminoles. The first game of the three-game series begins Friday night at 7 p.m.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...