BASEBALL: Late-inning heroics save Miami, 12-10

It looked like yet another baffling midweek loss to FAU, as Miami trailed the Owls 10-9 in the top of the ninth with two outs. Last week, the Canes fell to FAU 6-3, ending the team’s 14-game winning streak. That is, it looked like that until power hitter Yonder Alonso stepped up to the plate.

With one swing of his bat, Alonso changed the course of the game, giving Miami a lead they would never relinquish. The No. 1-ranked Canes left Boca Raton victorious, 12-10.

Starting pitcher Michael Rudman had trouble again, giving up five earned runs in only two innings of work. By the fourth inning, Miami (31-3) fell behind 10-3.

But that’s where the FAU (21-13) scoring would stop. A platoon of pitchers including Anthony Nalepa, Kyle Bellamy, P.J. Fisher and Carlos Gutierrez didn’t give up a run for the remainder of the game, allowing the Miami offense to crawl back into the game.

Shortstop Ryan Jackson stood out, notching four hits and three RBIs in the game. Mark Sobolewski also contribbuted, driving in four runs for the Canes. But ultimately it was Yonder Alonso and his ninth-inning blast that defined Wednesday’s game.

Miami now travels to Tallahassee for their weekend series against Florida State, pitting the No. 1-ranked Canes against the No. 2-ranked Seminoles. The first game of the three-game series begins Friday night at 7 p.m.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.