BASEBALL: Canes fall to Seminoles Saturday night, 9-5

Another comeback decided Saturday night’s Miami-Florida State game, but to the Canes’ dismay, it was the Seminoles doing the late-inning scoring, topping Miami, 9-5.

Miami held a 5-4 lead heading into the sixth, but a three-run sixth for Florida State gave them a lead the would not relinquish. The Canes would not score again.

Senior starting pitcher Enrique Garcia was inconsistent, pitching four scoreless innings but giving up six earned runs in the second and sixth innings, completing only 5 1/3 innings of work. Closer Carlos Gutierrez gave up two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning.

No Miami player had more than two hits. Dennis Raben led the Hurricanes in runs batted in with two.

Miami and Florida State will complete their three-game series tomorrow at 12:30 p.m., as both teams will try to win the series and likely become the consensus No. 1 team in the country.

All games can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM and www.wvum.org.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...