BASEBALL: Canes fall to Seminoles Saturday night, 9-5

Another comeback decided Saturday night’s Miami-Florida State game, but to the Canes’ dismay, it was the Seminoles doing the late-inning scoring, topping Miami, 9-5.

Miami held a 5-4 lead heading into the sixth, but a three-run sixth for Florida State gave them a lead the would not relinquish. The Canes would not score again.

Senior starting pitcher Enrique Garcia was inconsistent, pitching four scoreless innings but giving up six earned runs in the second and sixth innings, completing only 5 1/3 innings of work. Closer Carlos Gutierrez gave up two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning.

No Miami player had more than two hits. Dennis Raben led the Hurricanes in runs batted in with two.

Miami and Florida State will complete their three-game series tomorrow at 12:30 p.m., as both teams will try to win the series and likely become the consensus No. 1 team in the country.

All games can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM and www.wvum.org.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...