BASEBALL: Canes fall to Seminoles Saturday night, 9-5

Another comeback decided Saturday night’s Miami-Florida State game, but to the Canes’ dismay, it was the Seminoles doing the late-inning scoring, topping Miami, 9-5.

Miami held a 5-4 lead heading into the sixth, but a three-run sixth for Florida State gave them a lead the would not relinquish. The Canes would not score again.

Senior starting pitcher Enrique Garcia was inconsistent, pitching four scoreless innings but giving up six earned runs in the second and sixth innings, completing only 5 1/3 innings of work. Closer Carlos Gutierrez gave up two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning.

No Miami player had more than two hits. Dennis Raben led the Hurricanes in runs batted in with two.

Miami and Florida State will complete their three-game series tomorrow at 12:30 p.m., as both teams will try to win the series and likely become the consensus No. 1 team in the country.

All games can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM and www.wvum.org.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...