WOMEN’S TENNIS: Streak extends after wins in North Carolina

The No. 11 women’s tennis team extended their winning streak to seven games this weekend, closing out their regular season with convincing wins over No. 45 N.C. State and No. 35 Wake Forest.

In Raleigh, No. 20-ranked Laura Vallverdu won 6-2, 6-1 at the first position over N.C. State’s Berkeley Brock. Romy Farah was just as impressive in a 6-2, 6-2 win over Lenka Hojckova. The Wolfpack’s only point of the day came in No. 2 position as Daria Petrovic defeated No. 53 Micheala Kissell 10-8 in the third-set tiebreaker. The Hurricanes swept the lower three singles spots, with Bianca Eichkorn winning 6-2, 6-3, Caren Seenauth winning 6-2, 6-2, and Claudia Wasilewski grinding her match out for a 7-6, 7-6 win.

The team win gave head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews her 132nd win as a coach at Miami, breaking the program’s old record, set by former head coach Ian Duvenhage from 1981-1988.

On Sunday the Hurricanes stayed on Tobacco Road, traveling to Winston-Salem, N.C. to play the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest. For the second straight day, Miami won singles while only dropping one match. Vallverdu lost to Sasha Kulikova 6-1, 6-2 to start off the singles, which broke her streak of seven straight wins at the first position, but the team would not drop a match from there. Kissell dropped the first set but finished 7-5, 1-0. Eichkorn and Seenauth won in straight sets, and Wasilewski won in three sets.

With the wins, Miami has assured themselves of a bye in this weekend’s ACC tournament. Their play will start Thursday, with the league expected to announce seeding Monday.

Alexander Bryant may be contacted at a.bryant4@umiami.edu.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...