WOMEN’S TENNIS: Streak extends after wins in North Carolina

The No. 11 women’s tennis team extended their winning streak to seven games this weekend, closing out their regular season with convincing wins over No. 45 N.C. State and No. 35 Wake Forest.

In Raleigh, No. 20-ranked Laura Vallverdu won 6-2, 6-1 at the first position over N.C. State’s Berkeley Brock. Romy Farah was just as impressive in a 6-2, 6-2 win over Lenka Hojckova. The Wolfpack’s only point of the day came in No. 2 position as Daria Petrovic defeated No. 53 Micheala Kissell 10-8 in the third-set tiebreaker. The Hurricanes swept the lower three singles spots, with Bianca Eichkorn winning 6-2, 6-3, Caren Seenauth winning 6-2, 6-2, and Claudia Wasilewski grinding her match out for a 7-6, 7-6 win.

The team win gave head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews her 132nd win as a coach at Miami, breaking the program’s old record, set by former head coach Ian Duvenhage from 1981-1988.

On Sunday the Hurricanes stayed on Tobacco Road, traveling to Winston-Salem, N.C. to play the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest. For the second straight day, Miami won singles while only dropping one match. Vallverdu lost to Sasha Kulikova 6-1, 6-2 to start off the singles, which broke her streak of seven straight wins at the first position, but the team would not drop a match from there. Kissell dropped the first set but finished 7-5, 1-0. Eichkorn and Seenauth won in straight sets, and Wasilewski won in three sets.

With the wins, Miami has assured themselves of a bye in this weekend’s ACC tournament. Their play will start Thursday, with the league expected to announce seeding Monday.

Alexander Bryant may be contacted at a.bryant4@umiami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...