Sports Briefs

Basketball
Haith earns extension

The University of Miami has locked up men’s basketball head coach Frank Haith, signing him to a contract extension through 2013. The extension comes after Haith took his team to the second round of this season’s NCAA tournament, almost pulling off a major upset against Texas, but ultimately falling 75-72. Haith will return all but four of this season’s players next season.

Baseball
Hurricanes No. 1

The University of Miami baseball team is ranked No. 1 by the USA Today/ESPN, Baseball America, Rivals.com and National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association polls. These polls, which came out on Monday, had the Canes (26-2, 12-1 ACC) ranked No. 1 for the first time since 2004.

Men’s Tennis
Sundberg earns ACC honors

University of Miami true freshman Carl Sundberg was named Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Week. Sundberg finished the previous week 2-0 in both singles and doubles play. Sundberg knocked off N.C. State’s Derek Stephens and Wake Forest’s Jonathan Wolff to clinch game-winning points in both matches, helping the Hurricanes edged both squads 4-3. Additionally, Sundberg joined Daniel Vallverdu in doubles to knock off N.C. State’s ninth-ranked duo and Wake Forest’s 11th-ranked doubles tandem.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...