Sports Briefs

Basketball
Haith earns extension

The University of Miami has locked up men’s basketball head coach Frank Haith, signing him to a contract extension through 2013. The extension comes after Haith took his team to the second round of this season’s NCAA tournament, almost pulling off a major upset against Texas, but ultimately falling 75-72. Haith will return all but four of this season’s players next season.

Baseball
Hurricanes No. 1

The University of Miami baseball team is ranked No. 1 by the USA Today/ESPN, Baseball America, Rivals.com and National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association polls. These polls, which came out on Monday, had the Canes (26-2, 12-1 ACC) ranked No. 1 for the first time since 2004.

Men’s Tennis
Sundberg earns ACC honors

University of Miami true freshman Carl Sundberg was named Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Week. Sundberg finished the previous week 2-0 in both singles and doubles play. Sundberg knocked off N.C. State’s Derek Stephens and Wake Forest’s Jonathan Wolff to clinch game-winning points in both matches, helping the Hurricanes edged both squads 4-3. Additionally, Sundberg joined Daniel Vallverdu in doubles to knock off N.C. State’s ninth-ranked duo and Wake Forest’s 11th-ranked doubles tandem.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel from HurricaneSports.com.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...