SDT addresses child abuse at benefit

At 7 p.m. April 3 on the UC Patio, the sisters of Sigma Delta Tau hosted their annual philanthropy event – EAT, Bid and Be Merry – a dinner and auction.

The auction, which enterained 175 guests, was to raise money for “Prevent Child Abuse America,” an organization devoted to spreading awareness and preventing child abuse.

Sigma Delta Tau chapters around the country each conduct an annual service project, educational program, or major fund raiser for the benefit of PCAA.

At the program the sisters, who were all clad in black and white, auctioned an assortment of prizes including Marc Jacobs bags, dinner dates with the sisters, a toy robot left over from last year’s auction and other various prizes.

They also served pizza, hummus, bagels, salad, fruit and desserts, mostly donated from local restaurants around the Coral Gables area.

” Each year is different. Last year we had more people, more prizes, and a professional auctioneer, but it also rained and we had to move the whole thing inside last minute,” said Jen Grant, a junior and last year’s event chair. “However, I was disappointed that we did not have more robots [this year].”

Although they still have a few more dollars to collect to beat last year’s total, the sisters of SDT already raised about $11,000. This amount came from the $5 fee for anyone who planned to attend the event, donations from other Greek organizations, along with money collected from parents and alumni.

“This night is about so many things,” Grant said. “I see it as a chance for our sorority to dress up, come together and work towards an important goal as a sisterhood.”

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...