Why transferring isn’t the solution

Every budding 18-year-old begins college with high hopes and expectations of the next four years. They plan on having fun and making great memories and friends that they’ll keep for a lifetime. Incidentally, they’ll get an education while they’re there.

However, through a variety of things that may go wrong while they’re in their first year, it seems as though many college freshmen decide to transfer. By simply walking the halls, it’s not unlikely to hear the incessant repetition of kids saying things like, “I want to be closer to home,” “I really don’t like it here,” and “I want to go somewhere better!”

But the constant inner battle never quite ends. Either these kids transfer and forever question if they made the right decision, or they stay and always dream about better living. The infinite paradox never quite ends.

So, why do students not like their school? My assumption is that those very people who want to leave their universities in hopes of a better place initially had unreasonable expectations for the places they were going. They may have expected amazing hook-ups, phenomenal teachers and perfect friends. Whatever they thought was coming, they soon realize those things were not realistic. And they crack. Instead of being grateful to the colleges they were attending, they assume the “grass is greener” at whatever new school they consider.

The solution? Be happy with your decision and find the positives of the school you’re attending. Whether the reason is the nightlife, your major or a friendly teacher who recommended a book to you, be glad you were given the opportunity to attend a university at all, rather than becoming the cliché “grease monkey” at Dominic’s Auto Parts.

Dan Buyanovsky is a freshman majoring in entrepreneurship. He may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...