MEN’S TENNIS: Freshman leads team to win

Two days after defeating N.C. State 4-3 behind a victory from freshman Carl Sundberg, the No. 27 Canes did it again as they beat No. 28 Wake Forest 4-3 Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Miami (11-6, 4-4 ACC) took an early 1-0 lead over the Deamon Deacons (15-8, 6-3 ACC) on Senior Day by winning two of three doubles matches as the 35th-ranked duo of junior Daniel Vallverdu and Sundberg won 8-4 against No. 11 Cory Parr and Steve Forman. The No. 36 pairing of junior David Rosenfeld and the team’s sole senior Vivek Subramanian easily cruised to an 8-2 victory.

“I was here before Mario [Rincon] or any of these guys were here. From when I first got here my freshman year to now, it’s been an unbelievable trip,” Subramanian said. “I’ve enjoyed every moment of it.”

Despite fifth-ranked Vallverdu’s loss in straight sets to No. 58 Parr, Subramanian’s in the second position and five of six first set points lost in total, the Canes won three of the four remaining singles matches. Rosenfeld gave Miami its first singles triumph against the Demon Deacons with a 6-2, 6-4 victory in the third position.

“Like I said to these guys, even though I lost today I would rather get the win with the team than get the win individually and lose as a team. It’s been fun to watch these guys get so much better,” Subramanian said.

After Wake Forest claimed a brief lead at 3-2, sophomore Barnabas Carrega defeated Andrew Brassoux 1-6, 6-4, 7-5 to tie up the score before Sundberg’s clinching match which he took 1-6, 6-3, 6-3.

“It feels unbelievable today to come from behind,” Sundberg said. “Even if I won the last match, it was also the other guys playing well. Barney [Carrega] won in the tiebreaker in the last set and he kept me going.”

Before the impending ACC Championship, Miami heads to the road for two key regular season matchups.

Although Subramanian didn’t win in his final home singles match, his effort was at its usual high level.

“I’ve only known this team with Vivek in it and I’m going to miss him very much,” Rincon said. “He’s the glue to the team and has been for the past four years. It has been an amazing experience to have him fight on the court and just give his 110 percent every match.”

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...