MEN’S BASKETBALL: Haith receives five-year contract extension

After this year’s NCAA tournament run, President Donna Shalala and incoming Athletic Director announced today that head basketball coach Frank Haith will have his contract extended through 2013.
Haith joined the program in 2004 after the firing of Perry Clark. He’s overseen a large turnaround, going from 14-16 in Clark’s last year to 23-11 last year. The team advanced to the second round, losing to Texas 75-72.
“Frank Haith has done a tremendous job in elevating the men’s basketball program into one of the premier teams in both the ACC and in the nation,” Hocutt said in a press release. “His character, dedication and relationship with his student-athletes and staff members are beyond reproach, and the University of Miami is proud to have one of the top young coaches in the nation.”
Haith will return all but four members of his team for next season. He will look for the first back-to-back tournament appearances at Miami since the 2000-2002 seasons.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...