Events Beat

Afroman entertains for fraternity philanthropy

Rapper Afroman gave a pumped up performance on the UC Patio Saturday night to open fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s third annual Paddy Murphy Philanthropy week. Though the event was free, donations were collected for Miami Children’s Hospital. Among an audience of about 600 students, $1,500 was collected from the benefit concert.

– Analisa Harangozo

Rock, Paper, Scissors champ goes with gut

Sixteen competitors battled in a Rock, Paper, Scissors tournament hosted by the Association of Commuter Students. The event, which took place on the UC Patio Wednesday afternoon, was part of Commuter Extravaganza Week. Master of ceremonies Jose Obregon kept the crowd’s attention throughout the 45-minute competition. Stefano Rainelli said he won the competition by going with his gut instinct, “which was usually 90 percent right.”

– Analisa Harangozo

Pageant kicks off International Week

COISO kicked off “Believe It or Not” International Week with the Mister and Miss International Pageant Thursday night in the UC Ballrooms and the International Dance Competition Friday night on the UC Patio.

More than 75 students attended the pageant, which was themed “The Seven Ancient Wonders of the World” and featured a talent, cultural and intellect showcase. The event included a guest performance from Lester Hussie, who just released his album Les is More through Cane Records, as well as a steel drum performance from Miss International 2007.

Contestants included Ezzard Rolle of the Bahamas, Valerie Valero of Colombia, Stephanie Bigby of Jamaica, Luis Sierra of the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, Amal Uthman of Palestine, Keith Preciados of the Phillipines and Anushka Chang of Trinidad and Tobago.

– Stephanie Genuardi

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...