Events Beat

Afroman entertains for fraternity philanthropy

Rapper Afroman gave a pumped up performance on the UC Patio Saturday night to open fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s third annual Paddy Murphy Philanthropy week. Though the event was free, donations were collected for Miami Children’s Hospital. Among an audience of about 600 students, $1,500 was collected from the benefit concert.

– Analisa Harangozo

Rock, Paper, Scissors champ goes with gut

Sixteen competitors battled in a Rock, Paper, Scissors tournament hosted by the Association of Commuter Students. The event, which took place on the UC Patio Wednesday afternoon, was part of Commuter Extravaganza Week. Master of ceremonies Jose Obregon kept the crowd’s attention throughout the 45-minute competition. Stefano Rainelli said he won the competition by going with his gut instinct, “which was usually 90 percent right.”

– Analisa Harangozo

Pageant kicks off International Week

COISO kicked off “Believe It or Not” International Week with the Mister and Miss International Pageant Thursday night in the UC Ballrooms and the International Dance Competition Friday night on the UC Patio.

More than 75 students attended the pageant, which was themed “The Seven Ancient Wonders of the World” and featured a talent, cultural and intellect showcase. The event included a guest performance from Lester Hussie, who just released his album Les is More through Cane Records, as well as a steel drum performance from Miss International 2007.

Contestants included Ezzard Rolle of the Bahamas, Valerie Valero of Colombia, Stephanie Bigby of Jamaica, Luis Sierra of the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, Amal Uthman of Palestine, Keith Preciados of the Phillipines and Anushka Chang of Trinidad and Tobago.

– Stephanie Genuardi

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...