Election reveals reality of racism

The air must have been heavy with hate the night two white civil rights activists were shot in the chest and buried in the dirt next to a black student on a Mississippi farm.

It was a time in this country when the winds of change threatened to topple the walls of discrimination in a part of America that was founded upon lashings and separated drinking fountains.

1964 was a long time ago, and since that fateful June evening so much has changed. Yet so much remains the same. Three close friends and I had planned on traveling to Mississippi before the Democratic primary in support of Barack Obama, but as three white, Jewish activists we were confronted with the realities of the past.

In a family and a country too well versed in the prospects of racism and the power of hate, three white idealistic students traveling to the Deep South to support a black man was not a reasonable idea.

As a generation we feel so removed from those days in Montgomery and Greensborough. We didn’t walk with King and we didn’t sit with Rosa Parks. Yet, that taste of dejection, so potent on that night in 1964 still remains at the subconscious of an America ridiculed by its past.

Racism has been internalized to a discomfort in the face of its discussion and presence. We have seen traces on the rooftops of New Orleans, the courtrooms of Jena, and detested its voice in the depths of ourselves.

No, to our America this does not equate to three white students voicing the cause of a black man in a place struggling to rewrite its identity. But what if the math is wrong? What if all of this – the history and this future date with destiny – finally adds up to possibility? It may seem unreasonable and daunting.

Yet the greatest strides in this country were made aloof to the cries of reason to redefine daunting as attainable. What if this is the moment history has been waiting for? What if we are what Martin Luther King Jr. was dreaming of?

Corey Ciorciari is a junior majoring in creative writing, international studies and economics. He may be contacted at c.ciorciari@umiami.edu.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...