CD REVIEWS

Moby reels in listeners with finesse, grace

For fans awaiting new tracks by Moby, his newly released album Last Night does not disappoint.

With the incorporation of surprisingly fresh elements blended into the techno-style album, the tracks stand on their own and relate to other tracks with seamless finesse.

The track “Ooh Yeah” layers chanting vocals on top of a relaxed beat and creates a soothing opener for the disc.

The new album, with its unique blending of musical genres, slides into any atmosphere with graceful distinctiveness.

R.E.M. rockers speak out with new album

Nothing introduces a new album better than a sick guitar solo. R.E.M., rockers who are experienced yet open to new ideas, use their skillful instrumentation and thought-provoking lyrics to bombard their eager listeners with their new album Accelerate.

On the first track, the lyrics question stale dogma and call upon action (after the rockin’ guitar riff, of course).

The album takes a track or two to address political issues through the eyes of musicians as well, such as “Houston,” which features lines like, “If the storm doesn’t kill me the government will.”

Gnarls Barkley not such an ‘Odd Couple’

On their sophomore effort The Odd Couple Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse return as Gnarls Barkley to offer the only original sound listeners have heard in years.

Some thought their debut album’s “Crazy” might have left them a one-hit wonder, but this is definitely not the case. From “Run (I’m a Natural Disaster),” their funky and quick single, to the extremely mellow and lyrically-astounding “Who’s Gonna Save My Soul,” the duo just doesn’t know how to conform.

Their music is the sound of the future, and their newest album proves they’re here to stay.

Panic at the Disco shows sophistication

Panic at the Disco begins their new album with a contrite statement: “We’re so sorry we’ve been gone, we were busy writing songs for you.” The band that reeled in listeners with the scandalous “I Write Sins Not Tragedies” returns with a polished and well-organized album called Pretty. Odd. “I Have Friends in Holy Spaces” interrupts the album with a trumpet and vocal duet, replicating an oldies vibe. “Northern Downpour” and “Behind the Sea” showcase the band’s aptitude for classy ballads, while “Mad as Rabbits” reminds listeners of the band’s penchant for wacky lyrics and vocals.

Padma Sarvepalli may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu and Dan Buyanovsky may be contacted at d.buyanovsky@umiami.edu.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...