Boyfriend doesn’t add to résumé

Dear Hurriqueen,

I’m so busy that I’m on campus about 12 hours every day. By the time I get home, I’m tired and grumpy. I’ve had no time for my friends outside of classes, and my boyfriend is absolutely neglected. I try to make time for him, but I don’t have any time for myself, let alone anyone else. He understands and doesn’t complain, but it sucks and I feel awful about it.

Is there anything I can do without giving up everything I’m involved with on campus?

– Terribly Busy ? ?

Dear Terribly Busy,

I feel you. No doubt, we ambitious Canes have the tendency to over-book our schedules. Sometimes I’m so tired after a busy day that I can barely muster the energy to work it in the gym, let alone stay awake for my boyfriend to enjoy the fruits of my labor before bedtime.

Even though my man bitches about it and says we don’t spend enough time together during the week, I don’t feel the slightest bit guilty for being dedicated to my commitments on campus. And neither should you.

Look at it like this: We’re only going to be in college once. That’s it. When the time comes to graduate, our then-sagging asses are going to hustle for the best job our degrees, connections, experience and ambition can get us.

Unless you’re one of those mooching hos who came to college to find a tool to marry (in which case you came to the wrong school), you should realize that investing more in your relationship at the cost of your academic and professional growth is only going to hinder your career prospects.

But while your relationship status does nothing for your résumé, I’m not advocating that you dump the boyfriend and become a power-hungry feminist who puts her career at the forefront of her life 24/7. Just limit the relationship to the weekends or when you need affection.

You might disagree with me. You might think that this guy is “the one” and that you should make more time for him. And if that’s the case, do some soul searching. Ask yourself, am I the next Betty Crocker or Oprah? Personally, I’d go for the latter. And as Oprah might say, Stedman is best on the sidelines.

Keep me updated.

XOXO,
The Hurriqueen.

Send responses and questions to hurriqueen@gmail.com.

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Boyfriend doesn’t add to résumé”

1. j live says:

smells fishy

2. fornetti says:

I do not believe this