Two players place in top five

Age is just a number. Just ask freshman Maria Ronderos.

After a first round in which Ronderos shot a three-over par (76) for eighth, she dropped three strokes to shoot par for the course on Tuesday afternoon and tied for second (76-73-149) at Georgia State’s 15th John Kirk/Panther Intercollegiate at Eagle’s Landing Country Club.

“Maria has been working hard and it’s paid off,” head coach Lela Cannon said. “She got second, which is great as a freshman.”

As a team, the Hurricanes finished 12th out of 15 teams with a score of 652, shooting 326 in each round, though they fielded only three golfers when freshman Brooke Stuart fell ill. Host Georgia State defeated Jacksonville State in a one-hole playoff after both teams shot a 613 over the two-round, 36-hole tournament.

Senior Jessica Steward also placed in the top five and tied for fourth place by firing a 78 (72-78-150). The tournament marked Steward’s fifth top-10 and third top-five finish of the year. Meanwhile, freshman Christina Hirano finished tied for 25th (80-77-157) and Stuart ended up in 80th (98-98-196).

“[Jessica] just didn’t play well yesterday and the weather was terrible – it was 40 degrees, raining and windy and our girls are used to good weather,” Cannon said. “It’s hard to play in and we don’t practice in it.”

On Monday, Steward was tied with Georgia State freshman Sandra Maier for first with a one-under par 72. Steward shot a three-under par on the front nine. Hirano and Stuart had finished 30th and 79th place, respectively, on the first day of competition.

Miami completed the first round 11th out of 15 teams with a score of 326 while host Georgia State took a lead with a 300, eight shots ahead of second place Jacksonville State.

Starting Monday, the Hurricanes host the Canes and Cardinal Classic at Don Shula’s Golf Resort for three rounds and 54 holes in Miami Lakes. Three rounds of the ACC tournament follow less than two weeks later. Injuries have hampered the team, but players are expected to rejoin the squad in upcoming weeks.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...