Juggling club includes street performers, students and pros

College students learn to juggle classes, work and a social life. On Thursday nights, they can also learn how to juggle colorful balls and bowling pins in the UC breezeway.

An unofficial club known as the Coconut Grove Juggling Exchange welcomes everyone to come and learn how to juggle.

The club members began as street performers in Coconut Grove, participating in events like the King Mango Strut. They practiced in the old Peacock house before it was converted into the Coconut Grove police station, then took to the streets to ply their trade for three years before winding up at the University of Miami.

The club includes about 50 members who drop by from time to time to toss multicolored balls and have a few laughs.

“We can teach anyone to juggle in 10 minutes,” said David Landowne, a physiology professor and member of the CGJE who has been juggling for 20 years.

The club runs like an open workshop where anyone can simply show up and juggle for as long as they want.

Michael Shore picked up juggling as a method of stress relief after his late night lab sessions.

“It opens up neurological pathways in the brain that aid in studying,” he said jokingly.

Irina Patterson, a local balloon artist and member of CGJE, believes juggling is a form of meditation, while also a source of income.

“I juggle for food or for beer,” she said.

While some participants use the sessions for stress relief, others pursue the hobby further by going to competitions.

Fifteen-year-old Andrew Ruiz started attending the juggling sessions three years ago with his mother, Connie McGehee. He grew to love it and began to participate in tournaments worldwide. He is now aiming to join the World Juggling Association in St. Louis.

Whether for relaxation, competition or light-hearted fun, the CGJE jugglers have a few words of advice.

“Getting over the embarrassment is the hardest part, [and]the second problem is people get too excited,” Landowne said. “There is always more to learn.”

Ivette Figueroa may be contacted at i.figueroa@umiami.edu.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...