It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane

Over the past couple of years, it has been hard to call myself a Miami fan. Not out of embarrassment, but the sense of dread that overcame me every time I thought about it.

Take a look back at the end of football season. Our football team notoriously struggled to its worst season in a decade. Our baseball team had not been its usual dominant self over the past couple of seasons, settling into “good” status instead of “great.” Our basketball team, quite frankly, was not worth talking about.

Now let’s return to the present day.

Our basketball team just took one of the top eight teams in the country to the brink of overtime in a second round NCAA tournament game. That’s correct – our basketball team was playing in the second round of a tournament. In March. And it wasn’t the NIT.

Next season, the team returns almost its entire core, losing the replaceable Anthony King and Ray Hicks. Jack McClinton, probably the best player this program has had in 30 years, should contend for every national award next season. Head coach Frank Haith’s team is expected to make the Big Dance and contend for an ACC title, and not feel lucky to do either.

Our football team just held its spring game, and young players were all over the place making things happen. Quarterback Robert Marve is emerging as a leader in just his second year on campus, and running backs Javarris James and Graig Cooper look ready to put this team on their shoulders and carry it back to respectability. Head coach Randy Shannon’s team actually looks like it is going somewhere.

In the fall, more than 20 recruits who didn’t enroll early will arrive and set their sights on an ACC title.

This time next year, fans might be talking about a BCS bowl bid as opposed to a winning season when it comes to setting goals.

The baseball team is currently sitting pretty at 23-2, including 9-1 in conference. They are in sole possession of first place in their division, which happens to be in the best college baseball conference in America. The best hitter in the country, Yonder Alonso, sits in the middle of the lineup. One of the top pitchers in the nation, Eric Erickson, is the ace of the rotation. And Jim Morris is the manager. To say the least, this team has very realistic title hopes (provided the bullpen continues to develop).

Realistic hope is a great thing to have. As a Canes fan, it is time to take a page out of these athletes’ books and have some swagger. Haith, Shannon and Morris have their respective ships headed in the right direction. McClinton, James and Alonso are performing at levels their predecessors would approve of. Bright days are ahead.

It’s a great time to be a Hurricane.

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...