Easing our prison problems

What to do with those found guilty by the state of perpetuating offenses against order in ways grand and small? Officials tasked with this weighty question have historically assumed that the safety of the public would remain at risk if those who chose to act against it were allowed back into the public without several years in detention.

Individuals who commit truly heinous acts against society are assumed to hold no chance of rehabilitation and are thus sentenced to expulsion from the mainstream.

News outlets say that the prison population is growing at an unprecedented rate. More people than ever are in prison. Correctional facilities are suffering from overcrowding and violence. The sky is falling!

Everyone would find themselves far better served by an approach to the problem of prison crowding free from the emotions and vitriolic demagoguery that characterize its debate today. The U.S. needs a sensible proposal for handling social deviants. Perhaps a wider application of the death penalty would find favor among certain segments of the population, but humans are too costly to kill. Our government could not afford such a solution and all the finely honed sensibilities of our citizens could not stand such cruelty. No, the best solution lies not in the ending of life but in its alteration.

Those found guilty by the state of violating its laws should be given the same treatment as those who, by an act of fate, live in a place where their interests and those of the government coincide. Everyone should be treated as a criminal, and every place of residence must become a prison.

What good is it to punish actions that already have occurred? Order is already disturbed and the ideal enforcement of law is already showing its fallibility. Better instead to assume that all may violate the laws of this state, and punish them accordingly. Far better to limit human interaction than to risk the danger that comes with allowing it to run rampant. Stripping the freedom of action away from humans who can potentially use it to harm and err is the only way to ensure that our society will reach the pinnacle of safety and security for which it so dearly wishes.

Therefore all must be locked in their homes from dawn to dusk. For it is the lawbreakers, not the laws themselves, that lead to prison overcrowding. Therefore, the elimination of humanity’s ability to judge will also be the end of crime.

Andrew Hamner is a freshman majoring in journalism. He may be contacted at a.hamner@miami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...