Coming together at 60: U.S.-Israeli Relations

As I looked at the students and faculty in the LC hailing from 35 student organizations and departments, I felt a remarkable bond between us. Our differences were many but last Tuesday we joined to celebrate 60 years of the U.S.-Israeli relationship.

Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who addressed the audience, has tirelessly worked to strengthen this unique American-Israeli relationship since her election to Congress in 1989. It was clear that Ros-Lehtinen genuinely cared about having this conversation. She highlighted how America and Israel share values of democracy and freedom and are strategically allied against terrorism. Ros-Lehtinen praised ShalomUM, the UM’s pro-Israel student organization, for helping Florida become the first state to divest state pension funds from Iran and Sudan.

When I first became involved in ShalomUM, I couldn’t have imagined we would inspire such solidarity among so many different students. As I presented Ros-Lehtinen with a letter thanking her for her actions supporting the American-Israeli relationship, a vision of unity, of shalom, gripped my heart and will not let go.

– Lila Chertman, Senior, Treasurer of ShalomUM

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...