Coming together at 60: U.S.-Israeli Relations

As I looked at the students and faculty in the LC hailing from 35 student organizations and departments, I felt a remarkable bond between us. Our differences were many but last Tuesday we joined to celebrate 60 years of the U.S.-Israeli relationship.

Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who addressed the audience, has tirelessly worked to strengthen this unique American-Israeli relationship since her election to Congress in 1989. It was clear that Ros-Lehtinen genuinely cared about having this conversation. She highlighted how America and Israel share values of democracy and freedom and are strategically allied against terrorism. Ros-Lehtinen praised ShalomUM, the UM’s pro-Israel student organization, for helping Florida become the first state to divest state pension funds from Iran and Sudan.

When I first became involved in ShalomUM, I couldn’t have imagined we would inspire such solidarity among so many different students. As I presented Ros-Lehtinen with a letter thanking her for her actions supporting the American-Israeli relationship, a vision of unity, of shalom, gripped my heart and will not let go.

– Lila Chertman, Senior, Treasurer of ShalomUM

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...