Coming together at 60: U.S.-Israeli Relations

As I looked at the students and faculty in the LC hailing from 35 student organizations and departments, I felt a remarkable bond between us. Our differences were many but last Tuesday we joined to celebrate 60 years of the U.S.-Israeli relationship.

Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, who addressed the audience, has tirelessly worked to strengthen this unique American-Israeli relationship since her election to Congress in 1989. It was clear that Ros-Lehtinen genuinely cared about having this conversation. She highlighted how America and Israel share values of democracy and freedom and are strategically allied against terrorism. Ros-Lehtinen praised ShalomUM, the UM’s pro-Israel student organization, for helping Florida become the first state to divest state pension funds from Iran and Sudan.

When I first became involved in ShalomUM, I couldn’t have imagined we would inspire such solidarity among so many different students. As I presented Ros-Lehtinen with a letter thanking her for her actions supporting the American-Israeli relationship, a vision of unity, of shalom, gripped my heart and will not let go.

– Lila Chertman, Senior, Treasurer of ShalomUM

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...