Canes looking confident as they cruise past FAU

The No. 2-ranked Miami Hurricanes won their ninth straight game in dramatic fashion after overcoming a four-run first inning deficit to defeat Florida Atlantic University, 16-7.

The bottom half of the Hurricanes’ lineup continues to have success as junior left fielder Dave DiNatale and sophomore shortstop Ryan Jackson combined for eight RBIs.

“The biggest thing was DiNatale tonight, he was the player of the game,” head coach Jim Morris said. “And of course Jackson has been solid all year. He’s doing a great job hitting in the six or seven spot of the batting order.”

With such a commanding win, the Hurricanes (22-2) continue to demonstrate that they have one of the most potent lineups in college baseball.

“We’re playing with a lot of confidence right now,” said DiNatale, who had a career-high four hits. “Every guy goes up there knowing he can get the job done. It’s hard to beat.”

The Canes were able to cut the lead to one after a three-run bottom of the first and continued to use their offensive dominance to overwhelm the Owls (16-10). Miami had 16 hits in the game giving them double-digit hits in 16 of their last 17 outings.

“I think our offense is one of the top in the country,” DiNatale said. “Our bullpen is great and our pitching is doing really well.”

In the fourth inning, DiNatale hit a huge two-run homerun that cleared the left field scoreboard, giving the Hurricanes their first lead of the game, 5-4. DiNatale, who had five RBIs, finished one triple short of the cycle, going 4-for-5 with a home run, two doubles and a single.

Second baseman Jemile Weeks and center fielder Blake Tekotte both finished with two hits and extended their individual hitting streaks to 11 games.

“We’ve got a lot of guys in our lineup who feel like if they don’t do it, somebody else is going to do it,” Morris said. “They’re very confident, just like any team who is 22-2.”

While Miami’s offense carried the team to victory, it was their defense and pitching staff that held on to the lead. Florida Atlantic’s leading hitter, right fielder Mike McKenna, went 1-for-3 on the night with zero RBIs. McKenna is one of the best hitters in the country with 13 home runs and 46 RBIs on the season.

Miami looks to keep their winning streak alive when they host Clemson this weekend for an important three-game series in the ACC.

Rory Lincoln may be contacted at r.lincoln@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...