NCAA NEWS: Touring with the troops

When football head coach Randy Shannon talks about being in a war and invading opponent territory this May, it won’t be the same old sports analogy.

Shannon and four other NCAA football head coaches will be visiting Middle East military bases as part of a first-of-its-kind tour with Armed Forces Entertainment May 20 through 26.

With a daughter serving in the military in the Far East, Shannon particularly appreciates the importance of the trip.

“It means a lot,” he said. “She experienced a lot of things in the military that we talked about, so it means a lot to her.”

Shannon will be joined by Auburn’s Tommy Tuberville, Georgia’s Mark Richt, Notre Dame’s Charlie Weis and Yale’s Jack Siedlecki. The coaches will coach flag football teams consisting of military personnel and stage meet-and-greet sessions and symposia, where audiences will be able to meet the coaches and ask questions.

“We love the soldiers and their willingness to sacrifice for our country,” Richt, who also has family ties to several military branches, said in a statement. “We want to support them not only in prayer but also in person. I look forward to meeting as many of our men and women in the armed forces as possible during the visit.”

College basketball coaches, including Maryland’s Gary Williams and Michigan State’s Tom Izzo, have taken part in similar trips recently but this will mark the first time college football coaches have visited troops with Armed Forces Entertainment.

“It’s an opportunity to go out and support the military and everything they stand for and what they’re doing,” Shannon said.

The tour takes place the week leading up to Memorial Day, giving the coaches the opportunity to represent the college football community in honoring members of the armed services as the nation remembers their fallen comrades.

“We are proud to bring this tour to our military men and women, and my hat goes off to these coaches for spending their downtime with our troops,” said Air Force Colonel Edward Shock, Chief of Armed Forces Entertainment, in a statement.

Shannon added: “I think myself and the other coaches who are going really believe in supporting the United States armed forces and we’re excited about going.”

For more information on the tour, visit CoachesTour2008.com.

Corey Erb may be contacted at c.erb@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...