MEN’S TENNIS: Rough road in the Commonwealth

The University of Miami men’s tennis team came up empty on a two-match road trip to Virginia this weekend.

The No. 26 Hurricanes fell to top-ranked Virginia 7-0 Friday in Charlottesville and experienced similar results on Sunday when they lost 6-1 to conference rival Virginia Tech at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg.

The loss to Virginia (20-0, 6-0) marked Miami’s most lopsided defeat in over a year, and Virginia Tech (11-5, 4-3) handed the Hurricanes their fourth consecutive loss. Miami is now 9-6 overall and 2-4 in the ACC.

The Canes’ trip got off to a rough start as they lost every match to the Cavaliers, including all three matches in doubles play. Even junior Daniel Vallverdu, the nation’s fourth ranked singles player, looked hapless as he was dominated by Virginia’s top-ranked Somdev Devvarman 6-0, 6-1.

“They were just too good today,” Miami head coach Mario Rincon said of the Cavaliers. “We need to regroup and simply play better to finish out the regular season strong.”

But the Hurricanes did neither of these things Sunday as they were handled easily by the No. 28 Hokies.

Miami jumped out to an early 1-0 lead behind doubles wins by the 24th-ranked pair of Vallverdu and Carl Sundberg and the 54th-ranked duo of David Rosenfeld and Vivek Subramanian.

However, the Hurricanes’ advantage was short-lived as the Hokies took all six singles matches.

Vallverdu dropped his second straight singles match and third of the season when Albert Larregola, ranked 55th nationally, clinched a 6-3, 7-5 upset over the All-American. Rosenfeld, a junior who transferred to UM from Va. Tech following his freshman year, lost in the No. 2 spot to Nicholas Delgado 2-6, 7-5, 7-5.

Miami has been outscored 23-5 in their last four matches dating back to a 5-2 loss against Florida State March 15.

Miami returns to action at 3 p.m. Friday with a home match against No. 53 North Carolina State. Miami then closes out its home schedule when it welcomes No. 30 Wake Forest to Coral Gables for a noon match Sunday.

Andrew Donovan may be contacted at a.donovan@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...