UM employee investigated for child porn

University of Miami Sports Information Director Rick Korch is under investigation for possessing child pornography, The Miami Herald reported Tuesday.

At the time of publication Wednesday tonight, no charges had been filed.

University spokeswoman Margot Winick declined to comment on the issue, stating that the school does not discuss personnel matters. Efforts to contact Korch were unsuccessful.

The Herald also reported the following:

On Feb. 12, technician Alberto Perez reformatted the hard drive in Korch’s office computer after he complained it was too slow. During the work, Perez came across a video file featuring what he described as a prepubescent girl, according to a search warrant filed by Coral Gables police in Miami-Dade Circuit Court.

With the video, Perez found images of “scantily clad” girls that appeared to be between the ages of 10 and 15, and more than 10 files containing the word “pedo” in the file name – short for pedophilia.

After the discovery, the university contacted Coral Gables police. Det. Dean Wellinghoff impounded the computer.

Detectives searched Korch’s office at the Hecht Athletic Center on Feb. 25. They seized computers, floppy disks, documents, VHS tapes and hundreds of CDs and DVDs.

Korch has taken a leave of absence from his work. A secretary told The Herald that he hasn’t been in to work for approximately two weeks.

According to a university biography, Korch, 52, has been with the university since 2004, when he came to Miami from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...