Sports Briefs

Baseball
Hurricanes climb up the polls

The University of Miami baseball team continues to rise up the polls. The Canes moved up to No. 2 in the latest National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association poll, and they are ranked No. 3 in the recent USA Today/ESPN Top 25 poll. The Canes are ranked No. 2 in the Rivals.com poll, No. 4 in the Baseball America poll and No. 6 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper poll.

Muscle Milk Honors
McClinton and Viola earn honors

UM men’s basketball star guard Jack McClinton earned Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week honors for his performances at the NCAA tournament this weekend. McClinton scored 38 points as he helped the Canes overcome St. Mary’s in the first round. In the second round, he had 18 points in the close loss to powerhouse Texas.

On the women’s side, the honor was taken by sophomore diver Brittany Viola. She won the 10-meter platform event at the 2008 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Viola was the third female Cane to win an NCAA championship.

Men’s Tennis
Former men’s tennis coach selected to guide U.S. Olympic squad

Former UM men’s tennis coach Rodney Harmon has been selected to coach the United States men’s tennis team at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Harmon will replace Patrick McEnroe at the helm, looking to continue U.S. dominance of the sport at the Olympic level since its return as a medal sport in 1988. The U.S. has won 15 gold medals in men’s and women’s tennis since that time, more than any other nation.
Harmon served as Miami’s coach from 1996-97, guiding the team to a 22-23 record. In his final year, Harmon led the Canes to a Big East title and to the second round of the NCAA tournament, earning him Big East Coach of the Year honors.

Football
Spring Game, Canefest this Saturday

Hurricanes football will return to South Florida this weekend as the team will host its annual spring game in Ft. Lauderdale.
Traditionally hosted at the Orange Bowl, the game will now take place at Lockhart Stadium in Broward County. Gates will open at 9 a.m., when fans can get autographs from team members. The game itself will kick off at 10 a.m. Parking and admission are free for the event.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel and Matthew Bunch from hurricanesports.com.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...