Sports Briefs

Baseball
Hurricanes climb up the polls

The University of Miami baseball team continues to rise up the polls. The Canes moved up to No. 2 in the latest National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association poll, and they are ranked No. 3 in the recent USA Today/ESPN Top 25 poll. The Canes are ranked No. 2 in the Rivals.com poll, No. 4 in the Baseball America poll and No. 6 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper poll.

Muscle Milk Honors
McClinton and Viola earn honors

UM men’s basketball star guard Jack McClinton earned Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week honors for his performances at the NCAA tournament this weekend. McClinton scored 38 points as he helped the Canes overcome St. Mary’s in the first round. In the second round, he had 18 points in the close loss to powerhouse Texas.

On the women’s side, the honor was taken by sophomore diver Brittany Viola. She won the 10-meter platform event at the 2008 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Viola was the third female Cane to win an NCAA championship.

Men’s Tennis
Former men’s tennis coach selected to guide U.S. Olympic squad

Former UM men’s tennis coach Rodney Harmon has been selected to coach the United States men’s tennis team at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Harmon will replace Patrick McEnroe at the helm, looking to continue U.S. dominance of the sport at the Olympic level since its return as a medal sport in 1988. The U.S. has won 15 gold medals in men’s and women’s tennis since that time, more than any other nation.
Harmon served as Miami’s coach from 1996-97, guiding the team to a 22-23 record. In his final year, Harmon led the Canes to a Big East title and to the second round of the NCAA tournament, earning him Big East Coach of the Year honors.

Football
Spring Game, Canefest this Saturday

Hurricanes football will return to South Florida this weekend as the team will host its annual spring game in Ft. Lauderdale.
Traditionally hosted at the Orange Bowl, the game will now take place at Lockhart Stadium in Broward County. Gates will open at 9 a.m., when fans can get autographs from team members. The game itself will kick off at 10 a.m. Parking and admission are free for the event.

Information compiled by Pravin Patel and Matthew Bunch from hurricanesports.com.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...