MedSchool Briefs

Senior Miller medical students matched with top programs

Beneath a tent on the Schoninger Quadrangle at the University of Miami’s Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, senior medical students tore open sealed letters last Thursday that revealed where they would begin their careers after graduation.

The annual event called Match Day, highly anticipated by medical students across the U.S., determines where students will begin their residency training based on results from the National Residency Matching Program.

The students applied for residency programs during the fall of their senior year and were matched at some of the most competitive programs for specialties, including orthopedic surgery, dermatology, otolaryngology, diagnostic radiology, urology and general surgery.

The Miller School’s Match Day included 150 students, their friends and families and faculty members.

– Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Cardiac surgeon receives international research award

Cardiac surgeon and “Oprah” regular Dr. Mehmet Oz was presented the Lois Pope LIFE International Research Award at the Miller School last Tuesday. The award was accompanied by a $100,000 grant to help HealthCorps, a program Oz founded to combat teenage obesity.

– Ashleyann Gosselin

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...