Arboretum a hidden treasure

For those who may not know, the John C. Gifford Arboretum is a little piece of green heaven on campus. When you’re running the loop past the entrance to Richter and you see all of those little signs that say “Arboretum,” well, that’s it.

After two years of passion and hard work and who knows how much money, the university has declared the arboretum “restored” in wake of the hurricanes that ravaged it in 2005. (Hurricanes as in the natural disasters Katrina and Wilma. not your peers.)

But before it can even be enjoyed in its new state by current students and incoming freshman, a road may be built to join parking lots on campus. There is no question that the internal road is needed to deter traffic away from major streets surrounding the university, but it seems counterintuitive to spend time and money on something that will be reversed by construction in the next couple of years.

The arboretum is one of UM’s hidden treasures and should be promoted more thoroughly on campus before it is potentially defaced by a concrete jungle. In light of our “Green U” campaign, it seems only appropriate to plant more trees and build fewer things. But with the road already in the works in conjunction with Coral Gables, we can only hope that its planners have the foresight and respect to make sure that the road does not detract from the beautification and lushness of campus.

But if they don’t (as government officials sometimes do not) and they ultimately take away from our foliage-friendly arboretum, they should make up for it elsewhere on campus. Like where the new Rat is being built. riiight.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...