WOMEN’S DIVING: Viola wins national championship

Sophomore All-American Brittany Viola won the NCAA championship in platform diving Saturday, becoming just the third female in the school’s history to win a NCAA title.

Her score of 362.60 was the highest at the NCAA championship since 2005. Her closest competition, Margaret Hostage of Stanford, came in at 347.20.

“I’m so proud of Brittany for the way she performed tonight,” head diving coach Randy Ableman said. “I could see it in her eye that she wanted this title and she was determined to go out there and get it. She has worked so hard to get to this point, it was just so gratifying to see it all pay off for her.”

Viola’s championship gives UM a total of 25 diving titles between the men and women.

For more on this breaking story, stay with www.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...