New collection at Richter examines history of Grove

Coconut Grove has evolved in the last 50 years and the University of Miami is now sharing the city’s history with students and faculty.

With 5,000 negatives of every picture he took of Coconut Grove during the 1950s and 1960s, local activist and Board of Trustees emeritus member Bob Simms documented the community before and after segregation.

The “Bob Simms Collection,” which documents his life and work in the community, went on display at the Otto G. Richter Library on Feb. 15 and will remain until the end of March.

There are six display cases set up on the first floor of Richter, including a compilation of photographs called “Glory of the Grove.” The displays also present documents that chronicle Simms’ family history as well as his activism and work in the community as a teacher at George Washington Carver High School and later as executive director of the Community Relations Board.

The archives include father Harry Simms’ degree from Tuskegee Institute and campaign material from his daughter Leah Simms, who was the first African-American female to serve as a judge in Florida.

The display, which took the library two months to plan, is meant to strengthen younger generations by preserving the history of the Grove community.

“I’ve saved [the photographs]because it is my firm belief that the young people in the Grove ain’t got a clue who they are,” Bob Simms said at the exhibit’s opening event.

Robert Moore, a professor in the School of Education, was also present at the opening event and has been a close family friend of the Simms. He believes that the historical and social significance of the collection is relevant.

“Students need to know the growth of Miami,” he said. “[The exhibit] is a place where people can see and remember.”

Alumni and former students of Simms from George Washington Carver High School also attended the opening event wearing their school shirts.

Retired teacher Patricia Harper Garre, who graduated with the class of 1963, said that growing up “we never felt the segregation, because we just felt we were good as anyone else.” She gives credit to people like Bob Simms who functioned as a “motivator” to students.

“You can’t understand what makes me tick unless you understand all of me,” Simms said. “In the collection you have all of me.”

Farah Dosani may be contacted at f.dosani1@umiami.edu.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...