MEN’S TENNIS: Seminoles earn 5-2 victory

The University of Miami men’s tennis team had trouble finding momentum Saturday, as they were outdueled by the Florida State Seminoles, 5-2.

“It was a great college match, and the support from the crowd – especially the Greater Miami Tennis Educational Foundation and the USTA kids – was tremendous,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “I’m very happy to see that Miami tennis is growing.”

The No. 18 Hurricanes (9-3, 2-1 ACC) put together admirable individual performances, but they were unable to outlast the No. 17 Seminoles (11-2, 2-0 ACC).

No. 3 Daniel Vallverdu defeated No. 24 Jean-Yves Aubone in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. The Canes also picked up a point from Keith Crowley, who put up a great fight after dropping the first set 1-6. Crowley came back to win the second and third sets 7-6, 6-1.

Unfortunately, that was all the Canes could muster against a strong Seminole squad, as they lost the other four singles points and the doubles point. No. 101 David Rosenfeld was dropped by No. 91 Clint Bowles in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. After putting up a strong fight, Vivek Subramanian also tasted defeat, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4.

Meanwhile, Carl Sundberg was within reach of grabbing a win until Maciek Sykut put the brakes on, 0-6, 7-6, 6-1. J.C. Whitner also put up a fight, but he too could not quite pull it off, losing 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.

On the doubles front, the No. 15 pair of Vallverdu and Sundberg could not get things going, as they lost to No. 30 Aubone and Bowles 8-3. The Canes did get a win from No. 39 Rosenfeld and Subramanian, but the win proved fruitless, as Crowley and Whitner had already fallen 8-6.

“FSU played a great match today,” Rincon said. “We had some opportunities today, but we didn’t take advantage of them.”

The loss snapped the five-match win streak the Hurricanes were on, and it gave the Canes their first loss in Atlantic Coast Conference play this season.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...