MEN’S TENNIS: Seminoles earn 5-2 victory

The University of Miami men’s tennis team had trouble finding momentum Saturday, as they were outdueled by the Florida State Seminoles, 5-2.

“It was a great college match, and the support from the crowd – especially the Greater Miami Tennis Educational Foundation and the USTA kids – was tremendous,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “I’m very happy to see that Miami tennis is growing.”

The No. 18 Hurricanes (9-3, 2-1 ACC) put together admirable individual performances, but they were unable to outlast the No. 17 Seminoles (11-2, 2-0 ACC).

No. 3 Daniel Vallverdu defeated No. 24 Jean-Yves Aubone in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. The Canes also picked up a point from Keith Crowley, who put up a great fight after dropping the first set 1-6. Crowley came back to win the second and third sets 7-6, 6-1.

Unfortunately, that was all the Canes could muster against a strong Seminole squad, as they lost the other four singles points and the doubles point. No. 101 David Rosenfeld was dropped by No. 91 Clint Bowles in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. After putting up a strong fight, Vivek Subramanian also tasted defeat, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4.

Meanwhile, Carl Sundberg was within reach of grabbing a win until Maciek Sykut put the brakes on, 0-6, 7-6, 6-1. J.C. Whitner also put up a fight, but he too could not quite pull it off, losing 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.

On the doubles front, the No. 15 pair of Vallverdu and Sundberg could not get things going, as they lost to No. 30 Aubone and Bowles 8-3. The Canes did get a win from No. 39 Rosenfeld and Subramanian, but the win proved fruitless, as Crowley and Whitner had already fallen 8-6.

“FSU played a great match today,” Rincon said. “We had some opportunities today, but we didn’t take advantage of them.”

The loss snapped the five-match win streak the Hurricanes were on, and it gave the Canes their first loss in Atlantic Coast Conference play this season.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...