Gross, ‘Committed to U’ win SG run-off election

Brandon Gross’ “Committed to U” ticket triumphed in the Student Government elections, sweeping all three executive positions.

Gross’ victory with 912 votes, 178 more than Jeremy Crystal (“All About U”), was announced March 6, the Thursday before spring break started.

Claudia Medina and Shajena Erazo, the “Committed to U” vice president and treasurer candidates, respectively, also won their spots by more than 100 votes.

The announcement of the run-off victory, in which more than 1,500 students voted, came the day after the Elections Commission announced the results would be withheld pending judicial review by the SG Supreme Court.

Both “All About U” and “Committed to U” remained in the race after the review, with Gross’ campaign being penalized 15 points. It takes 20 points for a campaign to be disqualified.

The ruling came after Crystal’s campaign filed a possible violation, presenting a photo of Sebastian the Ibis wearing a green “Committed to U” T-shirt in a no-campaign zone near the UC Rock.

But none of this seemed to matter as Gross’ campaign celebrated on the UC Patio, with Cuban music playing in the background.

“It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane,” the team chanted repeatedly in victory.

However, Robert Goldring, a supporter of “All About U” and a junior, responded differently to the announcement, citing Gross for unfair election tactics.

“Sebastian the Ibis will get you 200 votes,” he said in response to the results, adding “if using Sebastian will only get you 15 points, what’s to stop someone from using Sebastian in the next election if you do not get kicked out of the election for using him?”

Gross’ first plan as SG president is to assemble an executive board and then assign jobs as necessary to fulfill his campaign promises.

These promises include extending shuttles on Fridays to go to Monty’s and CocoWalk. He also plans to bring ESPN U into the dorms.

Greg Linch may be contacted at gregl@miami.edu and Edward Fishman may be contacted at e.fishman@umiami.edu.

Results

President

Brandon Gross 912
Jeremy Crystal 734

Vice President

Claudia Medina 936
Anita Viciana 701

Treasurer

Shajena “Sha” Erazo 962
Celsus “CJ” Williams 669

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...