Breaking away from the typical Spring Break

It’s a bad hangover waiting to happen. Traveling over 500 miles to arrive at a crowded hotel only to face the impossible task of finding open lounge chairs and dealing with loud, rowdy and belligerent fellow partiers. Welcome to spring break as defined by the MTV generation.

“Some college students feel they face a certain amount of pressure to live up to the spring break trips they see on TV. But in reality, the ‘Cancun-like’ vacations aren’t for everyone,” Stephanie Tershakovec, a senior, said.

Although it’s restating the obvious, the University of Miami is in, well, Miami. Naturally, students at “The U” know that they live where others come to party. No plane ride and expensive hotels needed.

With residential colleges remaining open during the break, Robert Redick, director of the Department of Residence Halls, estimates that about 25 percent of UM students opt to stay in their dorms during spring break.

“People always ask why I’m not tan when I come home during break from the University of Miami. I tell them it’s because I go to school here, I don’t have time to just lay out,” Samantha Lynn, a senior, said. “I live here but don’t really get to experience it, so I’ve stayed here for spring break because I’ll have the free time to do what everyone wants to do for spring break, but I do it for free! It’s fun and relaxing, and no one would ever stay, in say, BU [Boston University] for spring break. It’s just too cold.”

But beyond the allure of Miami’s beaches and nightlife, there lies a vast field of endless opportunities for uniquely Floridian spring break plans.

Bari Lieberman may be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

0-100 mile radius
Rob’s Redland Riot

Despite the international feel, Miami is really part of the South – geographically speaking. Although it lacks a little of the good ol’ Southern comfort, Miami actually does have a countryside. Rob’s Redland Riot features a variety of self-guided tours through Miami’s “fruity, tropical” countryside known as the Redland Region, which captures some of the city’s former rural charm. Stop options include Florida Pioneer Museum, Schnebly Redland’s Winery, Burr’s Berry Farm, Cauley Square and more.

100-200 mile radius
12 Hours of Sebring Races

Evoke your best Ricky Bobby persona for the 56th Annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring races from March 12-15. Although the drive to get there may be dull, Sebring International Raceway proves to be Central Florida’s version of NASCAR.

200-300 mile radius
Kennedy Space Center

Experience the ultimate spring break terrain: outer space. Whether strolling through the rocket garden, brushing up on space history or walking through a full-sized space shuttle display, Kennedy Space Center is your Florida port to another dimension. Bring earbuds and watch the launch of the STS-123 Space Shuttle Endeavour, the 25th shuttle mission to the International Space Station, on March 11 in true V.I.P. style.

Togas: the original spring break necessity

Leave it to the Greeks to find another excuse for a good party. No, not the people around campus wearing their stitched letters, the ancient Greeks (and Romans too). That’s right, HotelsTravel.com says that spring break celebrations can be traced back to the times of Hercules and the formation of democracy itself when men and women would honor the god of wine Dionysus by drinking and dancing the night way to celebrate the forthcoming season’s fertility.

Fast forward a few thousand of years and now MTV dominates and defines the college student’s spring break. Cancun, Acapulco, Cabo — pick your poison. It seems the ancient celebrations of drinking and dancing to celebrate the season of fertility have evolved into a weeklong drunken stupor filled with brief memories of nudity, drugs and partying — evolution at its best.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...