‘The Other Boleyn Girl’ leaves something to be desired

Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman and Eric Bana, the three gorgeous actors starring in Focus Features’ The Other Boleyn Girl, might make the temptation to shell out another outrageous $9 for a movie ticket too tantalizing to resist.

For a story that focuses on one of history’s most well-known and scandalous affairs – involving King Henry VIII and his infamous second wife Anne Boleyn – one would expect the film to be at least equally salacious, if not hyperactively sexy and scandalous.

The Other Boleyn Girl, however, is disappointingly subdued.

The movie concerns these historical figures, which have inspired an array of novels, television series and films, but focuses on Anne Boleyn (Portman) and her rivalry with her lesser-known sister, Mary (Johansson).

The movie is beautiful, complete with the ornate costumes and sets that one expects from such period pieces. But the lackluster character development and plain silliness, which seems more befitting to a television drama about teen rivals than the Tudors, gives the film its lackluster quality.

If nothing else, audiences can at least take solace in the knowledge that they got to stare at Johansson, Portman and Bana for nearly two hours.

Carla Tabag may be contacted at c.tabag@umiami.edu.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...