Analysis: The feasibility of the candidates’ initiatives

With Student Government elections going to a run-off between Jeremy Crystal’s “All About U” ticket and Brandon Gross’ “Committed to U” ticket, some students have more time to think about their vote.

The Miami Hurricane spoke with university administrator to assess the feasibility of each ticket’s top platform goals. Here are some things voters should know:

Crystal’s “All About U” main initiatives are to increase commuter parking by paving and delineating the gravel parking lot by the business school; to allow unused dining hall meals to rollover or convert to dining dollars; to make Cane Card usable off campus; and to have an ATM at every residential college.

Sandra Redway, director of Business Services, said paving the gravel lot in front of the business school is “rather unlikely, since this is a temporary parking lot which will ultimately be reinstated to University Green space.”

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, also noted that adding ATMs to every residential college would be extremely challenging.

“It was very difficult to get the banks to agree to the Wellness and [Pearson] locations several years ago,” Whitely said. “In fact, Bank of America removed their ATM two years ago from the Wellness Center due to lack of volume.”

As for Cane Card use off campus, Whitely said it “has been pursued by previous administrations of SG to no avail. [We are] always willing to look at this issue again, but as everyone knows it is a very challenging issue.”

The ticket also wants unused meals to roll over into dining dollars, may be difficult to do, as the contract with Chartwells, which stipulates the current policies, does not expire until 2019.

As for Brandon Gross’ ticket, its main goals are to have an on-campus car rental system; to revamp the advising process and allow online registration for all students; and to expand Green U.

After talking to Whitely, the ticket’s plans to bring Zip Cars on campus seems possible.

“I would be willing to work with parking and transportation to explore it,” Whitely said. The service would be an agreement between the student and the company, with the university acting as a third party. “I’m not opposed to it, but we would have to figure out the liability.”

The expanded recycling initiatives is feasible as long as the ticket follows through with educating UNICCO workers and also as long as UNICCO workers agree to participate.

As for the registration and advising, The Hurricane tried several times to contact Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc and Vice Provost William Scott Green, but did not receive confirmation about the feasibility of this plan. Right now, students with 75 credits or more are allowed to register online without an advising appointment.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...