A wealth of wellness activities for all students

See video coverage of the Zumba class below or by clicking here.

As an incoming first-year student, Maggie Stewart was scared of gaining the “freshman 15.”

To battle the possible weight gain, she decided to use the Wellness Center’s core conditioning class taught by senior Ranier Pollard, who inspired her to “crunch instead of munch her semesters away,” Stewart said.

The core conditioning class is just one of a variety of programs offered to students at the Wellness Center.

Programs vary from nutrition education and cooking to Zumba, a Latin aerobic dance class, and “Guts-N-Butts,” a lower body firming class.

The Wellness Center membership is available to undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and alumni. Memberships range from $38 to $44 monthly.

Kim Samlut, director of Group Fitness, said the center is constantly introducing new programs so that there will be something for everyone.

“Be Smoke Free” is one of them. It is a six-week program that helps smokers quit through psychological and behavioral interventions, including complementary techniques such as hypnosis, acupuncture and follow-up group support.

Another popular program is the after-workout massage session. Sophomore Kathleen McReynolds said giving massages at the Wellness Center is a great idea because it’s close and cheap. “Not to mention, they do an amazing job at rubbing out my problems.”

Through health-oriented cooking classes, members get hands-on experience cooking a variety of healthy menu items and sampling creations in an instructional kitchen setting.

“I’m not really a gym person, so the cooking class was perfect for people like me because it got me to be healthy and go to the Wellness Center without feeling forced to lift weights or jump on treadmill,” Carrie Gilbride, a sophomore, said.

Private cooking lessons can be arranged by the Wellness Center with one of the chefs on site.

In addition, intramural sports and club sports can provide a competitive environment for a number of sports including soccer, flag football and martial arts.

Some students look to these sports as a relief from daily life.

“Sometimes when class is incredibly overwhelming, I just can’t wait to get to practice, see my friends and play my favorite sport,” said Kristin Gorney, a freshman member of the club volleyball team. “It’s my odd stress reliever.”

Stephanie Ceverino may be contact at s.ceverino@umiami.edu, and Colleen Dourney may be contacted at c.dourney@umiami.edu.

Available Wellness programs

Be Smoke Free: A smoke cessation program

CHAMP: Overall fitness evaluation

Club Sports: Club sports are available for students, faculty and staff with different sports available ranging from baseball to football to ultimate Frisbee

Cooking Demonstrations: The Wellness Center has an instructional kitchen, which provides a classroom setting

Group Fitness and Instructional Programs: Aerobics, Studio Cycling, Yoga, Instructional Classes, Personal Training and Fitness Testing

Intramural Sports and Events

Massage Therapy

Mini Canes Camp: A summer camp run by college students, Miami-Dade County teachers and UM staff

Nutrition Education: Speak with weight management consultants and Wellness Center staff certified to give advice on exercising

Personal Training

Shape Up: An incentive program designed to encourage people to get in

Walking Canes 10K-A-Day: Employees who sign up to participate receive a free pedometer to keep track of the number of footsteps

For more information visit
www.miami.edu/wellness.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...