Rathskeller celebrates 35 years, will close in December

For the past three and a half decades, the Rathskeller has served milkshakes and fries with a side of memories for students and faculty.

“This place is where I worked as an undergraduate student; I met my wife here,” Everett Price, the Rat’s manager, said. “It holds a lot of memories for me and certainly the people I graduated with.”

Today marks the Rat’s 35-year anniversary celebration, as well as the last anniversary that the restaurant will have in its current location. Although the actual anniversary was Feb. 10, the Rathskeller Advisory Board decided to move the celebration to Feb. 28 to make sure the event is well attended.

The Rat will still be in operation during the fall 2008 semester, but will close sometime between December 2008 and January 2009 for construction, UC director Dan Westbrook said.

When that happens, the Rat will temporarily locate to Sbarro. By late 2011, Westbrook expects the new UC, along with the new Rat, to be open for business.

Westbrook said the university used a survey to determine plans for the future Rat, and it found that the majority of students wanted it to retain its current appearance. It will still be two floors and will center around the same basic concept, but with a “bigger, better, more high tech [facility],” Westbrook said.

“It’s like the Orange Bowl. It was very exciting and people had a lot of affection for it, but physically speaking it was old and it wasn’t what a modern athletic facility should be,” Price said. “Same with this Rathskeller. It’s 35 years old, yet people have a lot of memories.”

Yessica Salazar may be contacted at y.salazar1@umiami.edu.

To know: Today there will be an anniversary party at the Rat from 5 to 7 p.m. with cake-cutting, a dunk tank, bounce house and a magician.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...