MEN’S TENNIS: No. 26 overcomes weather for win

Click here to view this slideshow

Despite unfriendly weather conditions, the No. 26 men’s tennis team defeated Furman 5-2 to improve to 5-0 at home and 6-2 overall.

Just as they have been doing all season, the Hurricanes won the first point of the match for doubles, with wins from both the No. 10 pairing of junior Daniel Vallverdu and freshman Carl Sundberg and the team comprising junior David Rosenfeld and senior Vivek Subramanian.

“It’s crucial against any team [to win doubles],” head coach Mario Rincon said. “On a day like today when it was really windy and conditions were difficult, you never know what’s going to happen and being ahead 1-0 after doubles is huge. Thankfully we got the point and we were able to win a few more matches. This match was closer than what the score indicates.”

Even after falling in straight-set losses on courts two and six, the Canes were able to win the other four singles matches, including straight-set wins for No. 4 Vallverdu, sophomore J.C. Whitner and Sundberg.

“Danny [Vallverdu] is certainly one of the best players in the country,” Rincon said. “He shows up for both singles and doubles. He’s a great competitor and leader and he brings his best tennis out there. When I watch him he seems like he enjoys the competition and the pressure.”

Subramanian, down after a tough and long first set loss, came back to win the next two sets in a tiebreaker at the third spot, 6-8, 6-1, 10-4.

“Before the match started I wasn’t feeling too well,” Subramanian said. “I was thinking to myself, ‘There’s no way I’m going to lose this match,’ especially after watching how these guys were competing next to me. I just had it in my mind to stay out there as long as I could. I knew that if I just stepped on him in the beginning of the second set I would be able to capitalize.”

Miami begins its ACC schedule against Georgia Tech next Friday in Atlanta.

“We have a few days to work on things and hopefully play and prepare for our ACC competition,” Rincon said. “I believe we’ve played really well to this point and our best tennis is ahead of us.”

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at c.denicola@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...