Lame remixes, timeless originals on Michael Jackson’s Thriller 25

There’s something to be said about the quality of an album if it has been released in stores three different times over 25 years. Thriller, the best-selling album ever, cemented Michael Jackson’s position as the “King of Pop.” When that unforgettable bass line in the smash single “Billie Jean” hit radios in January 1983, it changed pop music as we knew it.

The nine tracks on Thriller produced seven hit singles, all of which are re-mastered on the recently released Thriller 25. Six additional tracks were added to the album, including one previously unreleased track, “For All Time.” In a conventional sense, most of the additions are nothing but a modern manipulation of once phenomenal tracks. Whether it’s Fergie’s sad attempt to mesh her voice with Michael’s on “Beat It 2008” or Kanye West’s bass-less remix of “Billie Jean 2008,” it seems as though the influences of Y100 have infiltrated the contemporary remake of Thriller 25.

The remixes prove that it is hard, if not impossible, to reinvent some of the biggest pop hits of all time – though to be fair, Akon definitely grooves to “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ 2008” as he produces a typically impressive club-like atmosphere. Also, with videos to “Billie Jean,” “Beat It” and “Thriller” on the included DVD, there is nothing else to complain about. Closing the album is Jackson’s legendary performance of “Billie Jean” from Motown 25, which reminds us that Michael Jackson is truly yesterday, today and forever.

Joshua Newman may be contacted at j.newman4@umiami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...