Eclectic Erykah Badu blends hip-hop, funk, electronica with ease

Erykah Badu is back and ready to shake up the neo-soul world she helped create. With assistance from underground producers like Madlib, Shafiq Husayn and, posthumously, J Dilla, New AmErykah Part One (4th World War) is exactly what the hip-hop/R&B world needed.

Treading on a different path than her previous Worldwide Underground and Baduizm, Badu somehow jumps from pure funk to underground hip-hop to atmospheric electronica with ease. Opening with “AmErykahn Promise,” a funk-filled Roy Ayers sample blended with a more familiar high-pitched Badu chant, the album keeps you curious and intrigued. Soon after the opener is a rebuttal to Nas’ claim that “hip-hop is dead” with Badu and Madlib teaming up to say that “it’s bigger than religion – hip-hop.”

The socio-political theme Badu employs is prevalent throughout the album and is highlighted in the soulful melodies of “Soldier,” which addresses subjects such as Iraq, Sept. 11, and the New Orleans levee crisis.

In an awkward contrast, the single “Honey” is the album’s bonus track. It may come too late in the scheme of things, but at least the album goes out with a classic Badu-banger.

Joshua Newman may be contacted at j.newman4@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...