This court is not for U

UM students truly sweat and bleed orange and green. That has been especially evident this year as students have consistently come out in force to support the improving basketball team.

At the end of last Wednesday’s astonishing victory over Duke, fans and students decided it was fitting to rush the court in celebration of their team beating the No. 4 team in the country. However, choke slams and shoves replaced joy during what should have been an exciting time for all fans in attendance.

In a statement provided to The Miami Hurricane, the administration said, “No one may violate University of Miami, NCAA, or Atlantic Coast Conference policies, which explicitly prohibit unauthorized individuals in the competition area before, during, and at the conclusion of the game.”

However, just three days before the UM game, Duke suffered another loss to fellow ACC member Wake Forest. After that game, the court was completely full.

If the administration claims that rushing the court was a safety issue, security and police hardly kept the environment safe. They kept pushing, even as students were trying to retreat into the stands. As a result, students were caught in the middle of a gigantic shoving match.

It seems justified that students and fans should have been allowed to rush the court in celebration, but the administration, police and security certainly didn’t think so.

The solution should be to announce the university’s policy against rushing the court, as well what the response would be. Another possibility could be ( ideally) to allow students to celebrate a momentous victory.

Either way, placing hundreds of fans and students in danger at a time of celebration certainly can’t be the best they can come up with.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...