This court is not for U

UM students truly sweat and bleed orange and green. That has been especially evident this year as students have consistently come out in force to support the improving basketball team.

At the end of last Wednesday’s astonishing victory over Duke, fans and students decided it was fitting to rush the court in celebration of their team beating the No. 4 team in the country. However, choke slams and shoves replaced joy during what should have been an exciting time for all fans in attendance.

In a statement provided to The Miami Hurricane, the administration said, “No one may violate University of Miami, NCAA, or Atlantic Coast Conference policies, which explicitly prohibit unauthorized individuals in the competition area before, during, and at the conclusion of the game.”

However, just three days before the UM game, Duke suffered another loss to fellow ACC member Wake Forest. After that game, the court was completely full.

If the administration claims that rushing the court was a safety issue, security and police hardly kept the environment safe. They kept pushing, even as students were trying to retreat into the stands. As a result, students were caught in the middle of a gigantic shoving match.

It seems justified that students and fans should have been allowed to rush the court in celebration, but the administration, police and security certainly didn’t think so.

The solution should be to announce the university’s policy against rushing the court, as well what the response would be. Another possibility could be ( ideally) to allow students to celebrate a momentous victory.

Either way, placing hundreds of fans and students in danger at a time of celebration certainly can’t be the best they can come up with.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...