SPORTS BRIEFS

Football
Canes recruiting success continues for 2009

National Signing Day 2008 has come and gone, but the University of Miami football program and coaching staff have not stopped working the recruitment trail. The Hurricanes recently received verbal commitments from running back Bryce Brown, possibly the nation’s top 2009 high school player and quarterback A.J. Highsmith. According to ESPN, both are ranked among the top 150 players for the class of 2009.

Diving
Two win individual events at ACC Championships

Sophomore Brittany Viola and freshman J.J. Kinzbach emerged from the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Swimming and Diving Championships with individual titles.

The weekend’s biggest winner was Viola, who became the first female diver to sweep all three diving events: one-meter springboard, three-meter springboard and platform. Viola was named Most Valuable Diver at the competition.

Kinzbach picked up his first career title by winning the men’s platform competition, besting second-place Dan Frebel of Florida State and third-place Mikey McDonald of Virginia Tech.

Tennis
Vallverdu duo move up collegiate rankings

In the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, UM men’s tennis All-American Daniel Vallverdu moved up three spots to fourth among the nation’s top collegiate singles players. Sibling Laura Vallverdu jumped 15 spots to No. 14.

Other ranked Hurricanes include freshman Bianca Eichkorn, who is No. 62; freshman Michaela Kissell, who is No. 70; and senior Romy Farah, who is No. 80.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com by Pravin Patel and Matthew Bunch.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...