SPORTS BRIEFS

Football
Canes recruiting success continues for 2009

National Signing Day 2008 has come and gone, but the University of Miami football program and coaching staff have not stopped working the recruitment trail. The Hurricanes recently received verbal commitments from running back Bryce Brown, possibly the nation’s top 2009 high school player and quarterback A.J. Highsmith. According to ESPN, both are ranked among the top 150 players for the class of 2009.

Diving
Two win individual events at ACC Championships

Sophomore Brittany Viola and freshman J.J. Kinzbach emerged from the 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Swimming and Diving Championships with individual titles.

The weekend’s biggest winner was Viola, who became the first female diver to sweep all three diving events: one-meter springboard, three-meter springboard and platform. Viola was named Most Valuable Diver at the competition.

Kinzbach picked up his first career title by winning the men’s platform competition, besting second-place Dan Frebel of Florida State and third-place Mikey McDonald of Virginia Tech.

Tennis
Vallverdu duo move up collegiate rankings

In the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, UM men’s tennis All-American Daniel Vallverdu moved up three spots to fourth among the nation’s top collegiate singles players. Sibling Laura Vallverdu jumped 15 spots to No. 14.

Other ranked Hurricanes include freshman Bianca Eichkorn, who is No. 62; freshman Michaela Kissell, who is No. 70; and senior Romy Farah, who is No. 80.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com by Pravin Patel and Matthew Bunch.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...