In The Spot Light: The School Radio Station

The 40-year-old voice echoes around campus; students can hear it at Sbarro, at the pool and even at the Wellness Center

Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, WVUM – 90.5 FM – plays tunes, news and sports to the university community and beyond from a cramped station on the first floor of the University Center.

This year marks the 40th anniversary of The Voice, which made its on air debut in May 1968. The 1300 watt station, which extends coverage to Miami-Dade County and north to Broward County, began as a 10-watt noncommercial educational radio station.

Approximately 100 student volunteers, not all communication majors, work with the radio station, which is looking to expand its reach.

“Once other stations go digital by the end of this year, [WVUM] might be able to up its signal level,” said Jay Dryburgh, a senior and general manager of WVUM. “Hopefully [WVUM] can be a little farther north and west within the next couple of years.”

The station, which is nonprofit, receives most of its funding from the Student Activities Fund Allocation Committee, but is also supported by the Big Cheese and Book Horizons.

The Internet has helped carry The Voice beyond its regular broadcast area. Listeners can pick it up anywhere by logging on to wvum.org and streaming the audio live. The stream can support 1,000 listeners at a time.

“It fills up for [University of Miami] baseball games,” Dryburgh said. “People listen online at work. Sometimes [we]get calls from out of state. For sports it’s huge because there are so many Hurricane fans in the nation.”

As for the future of WVUM, in the new Student Activities Center planned for XX, the station is expecting a spacious, glass studio next to the Rathskellar, although faculty advisor Paul Driscoll said nothing has been finalized.

Still, Dryburgh is optimistic

“Right now [UM is] ushering in a very digital age at WVUM, and when there is a state-of-the-art studio the sky is going to be the limit.”

Justin Antweil may be contacted at j.antweil@umiami.edu.

-WVUM broadcasts heavy, medium and recurrent music genres, along with two political talk shows, baseball and women’s baskeball games (both home and away) and home games for football, volleyball and men’s basketball.

-Highlighted WVUM shows:

Classical Lunch every weekday noon to 1 p.m.

Mondays: Electric Kingdom 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Tuesdays: Hip Hop Shop 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Wednesdays: Counterpoint (political show) 7 to 8 p.m.; Metal Revolution 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Fridays: All Requests Show 3 to 6 p.m.; IBIS Sports (Hurricane Sports Talk Show) 6 to 7 p.m.

Saturdays: Metropolitan Opera 1 to 4 p.m.

Sundays: Beyond the Scope (National Sports Talk Show) noon to 1 p.m.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...