Campus flunks compatibility test

While students at the University of Miami are technologically inclined, they are compatibility challenged.

The Microsoft Campus Agreement License allows students to download Microsoft Office free of charge. Some students choose to do so, but have trouble in computer labs and classrooms, where many computers are still not updated.

Tomas Ortiz, director of engineering and operations, said he is looking into updating the computers during the summer semester. Ortiz also noted that new software is often accompanied by system kinks that need to be straightened out by Microsoft.

“I will make my determination before we break [for]the semester,” Ortiz said. “By that time any bugs will be addressed.”

Microsoft didn’t release the new version of Microsoft Office for Mac, Office 2008, until Jan. 15, and the university did not have access to it until this month. Until then, Mac users were unable to open Office 2007 documents. For students who do not choose to download Office 2008, the document converter for Office 2004 will not be available until late June.

Meanwhile, the campus remains divided by the two incompatible Office versions, and this has affected the normal flow of classes.

“I had to install a format converter so that I could

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...