A breakdown of the current construction on campus

About $20 million worth of construction has popped up almost everywhere around the University of Miami campus, with most projects expected to be finished by spring 2009.

Next to the BankUnited Center, the multipurpose and practice facility will be under construction until next fall. The 30,000 square-foot facility will house two practice courts for the UM basketball teams. It will also serve as a location for lectures and events and as a permanent location for commencement ceremonies, said Richard K. Jones, assistant vice president of Facilities, Design and Construction.

The Serpentine parking lot in front of the BankUnited Center will be under construction to add 408 parking spaces until the summer, Jones said.

The 11,000 square-foot clubhouse at Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park, which wraps around the baseball stadium, will include new ticket booths, press boxes, suites, concession stands and locker rooms. The concession stands will be in permanent locations by April and the remainder of the clubhouse will open in February 2009.

The construction visible from the main entrance of the university is the new 4,100 square-foot Myrna and Sheldon Palley Pavilion. The Palley Pavilion is an expansion to the Lowe Art Museum and will house a 100-piece glass collection donated by the Palleys as well as other contemporary pieces donated to the university, said Brian Dursum, director of the Lowe Art Museum.

More information about current and future construction projects can be found on the Facilities Design and Construction Web site at miami.edu/facilities-planning.

Ashley Torres may be contacted at a.torres@umiami.edu.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...