Group hopes to up participation among students

With the 2008 election season now in full swing, Council for Democracy, a nonpartisan political organization, is using all its power to increase political awareness on campus. Its main initiative this year is to get as many students as possible to vote in the 2008 election.

“A lot of people on campus are not aware of the stances the different parties take on issues,” sophomore Kristina Rosales, president of the organization, said. “We are trying to educate them before the election in November.”

Council for Democracy will hold a mock debate later this semester. Members of the University of Miami Young Democrats and College Republicans will talk about their party’s stances on the issues.

The organization will also be hosting a speaker from the Clinton administration to discuss the importance of political activism and student involvement in politics.

Although it has been on campus for many years, Council for Democracy did not receive any recognition until this year when Rosales took over the organization. Last year, as a member of the UM Democrats, former president Johweyeh Lowenthal approached her about taking over his position.

Both Lowenthal, who ran for Student Government president last year, and Rosales, who is running for SG treasurer this year, hope that this time Council for Democracy can remain strong in between presidential election years.

“I thought it would be a good idea to have a group on campus that didn’t represent one of the two main views,” Rosales said.

Kiersten Schmidt may be contacted at k.schmidt@umiami.edu.

Council for Democracy’s next meeting is March 3 at 9 p.m. Contact councilfordemocracy@hotmail.com, or visit the Facebook group “Council for Democracy” for more information.

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...