Brandon Gross // Committed to U

Brandon Gross // Committed to U

Running Mates: Claudia Medina, vice president; Shajena Erazo, treasurer
Year: Junior
Major: Public Relations and Sports Administration
Campaign Web site:
Color: Green

Student Government: speaker of the Senate, executive board member, former speaker pro-tempore, former School of Communication senator

Interfraternity Council: president and former secretary

Sigma Chi fraternity: alumni, ritual and scholarship chairman

President’s 100: executive board member and student ambassador

Platform Goals: Top 3

Online registration and revamping advising: “We’re all here for academics,” Gross said about his primary platform goal. He wants to eliminate the hassles of long lines at the registrar’s office and the stress of running all over campus to track down a professor for a signature. He noted that students at other schools can register online, and he has already discussed the option with Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc, Senior Vice Provost William Green and the academic deans of each college. All agreed that the system “needs to be fixed.”

Zip-Car on-campus car rental: Because freshmen who live on campus will not be allowed to have cars in fall 2008, the Committed to U ticket wants to make sure students without cars can still run errands, pick up friends from the airport or travel somewhere not on the Metrorail line. Gross said the Zip-Car service would be available for $7 to $15 an hour for students ages 18 and older. The contract would be between students and Zip-Car, and the university would act as a third party.

Expanded Green U: All three ticket platforms suggest expanding Green U by installing more recycling bins, but Gross said he will also push for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification in all new buildings on campus and updates to current buildings. This would include changing light bulbs and replacing hand soap with foam soap.

The Rest

Extended Ibis shuttles on Friday to go to Monty’s and CocoWalk; ESPNU in the dorms; additional commuter lots; and extended dining hours until 10 p.m.

Fun Facts

If you could be an animal, what would you be?

“A dog. I’ve never been able to own a dog and I’ve always wanted one.”

Describe a perfect date:

“I love conversation and interacting with people. A perfect date would be nice dinner date where you can talk and have a good time.”

What would your campaign theme song be?

“Simply the Best” by Tina Turner.

If you could be anyone else on campus for one day, who would that be and why?

“President Shalala. That would be awesome – her office is ridiculous.”

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...