A Year of Classic Films Honored this Sunday

The Oscars are on for this Sunday after a long and hard-fought battle with Hollywood’s writers. Now that the strike is over, the night will go on with second-time host Jon Stewart. Tune in to ABC Sunday night at 8 p.m. to see the winners on stage, and for now here are one student’s picks.

Best Picture: “No Country for Old Men.” Look for the Coens’ violent requiem for aging to secure the win over “Juno,” as well as cement itself as the year’s big winner.

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis for “There Will Be Blood.” Considering the best actor in the world plays one of the most mesmerizing characters ever put on film, this is a sure thing.

Best Actress: Julie Christie for “Away From Her.” Toss-up between her and Ellen Page for “Juno,” but Oscar will reward age and an outstanding career.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem for “No Country for Old Men.” His turn as the soft-spoken madman fuels his film. Other nominees’ films do not have “No Country’s” renown.

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan for “Gone Baby Gone.” The toughest category to call. Ryan wins because other nominees lack either screen time or their films lack exposure.

Best Director: Joel and Ethan Coen for “No Country for Old Men.” Historically the Oscars’ biggest popularity contest (the last relative unknown to win was Sam Mendes for “American Beauty”), this award will go to the biggest name.

Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins for “No Country for Old Men.” Deakins is the first DP in 30 years to be nominated for two films in the same year. Voters will back his better-received picture.

Best Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody for “Juno.” The dialogue of the film is the engine behind the charm. Plus, the film can’t go home empty-handed.

Best Documentary: “No End in Sight.” This comprehensive and convincing documentary about the Iraq war will strike close to home for many voters.

Best Animated Feature: “Ratatouille.” Because it’s “Ratatouille.”

Gabe Habash may be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...